It’s important to remove mold immediately, but should mold removal be done yourself, or by professionals?
Well, it depends.
There is a lot to consider because mold can be found in many places, but can be slow to reveal itself. Mold needs moisture and oxygen to thrive and can grow almost anywhere since there are always mold spores in the air. Molds can be pathogenic, causing health problems; allergenic, causing allergic reactions; and toxigenic, which lead to dangerous or sometimes deadly health conditions.
Hiring a professional is usually your best bet.
What can you do yourself?
Once you’ve found mold, sometimes if it has a smaller surface area, it can be cleaned with just a cloth soaked in a mixture of soap, vinegar, and water. However, it’s important to determine the source, and take care of this as well. There may be a leak nearby, or the mold may be in an area where an excess of moisture collects (like a shower curtain). If you smell a musty or moldy smell coming through your air vents, finding the source can be tricky. The good news is, it may not even be mold. But to know better, it has to be inspected.
Should you call a professional?
Cleaning large areas of mold requires the right personal protective equipment, or PPE, as mold can be very dangerous when inhaled. Professionals have tools like moisture meters, dehumidifiers and mold prevention methods that need to be installed by someone who understands how it works. Mold that has a large surface area usually poses a larger problem and often needs someone to check the drywall to find the mold’s source.
If the mold you are dealing with…
• cannot be seen but has a strong odor;
• has a large surface area;
• you can’t seem to find the source; or
• it causes you and your family distress and you can’t seem to deal with it or the problems that it’s causing you by yourself… then it’s time to call a professional.
What can a professional do?
We have the necessary PPE to repair the water issue causing the mold. We can find out the level of contamination, source and remove all mold-covered materials. The removal method we use ensures minimal cross contamination so that mold spores are not entering other areas of the house. You want to contain that mold and keep it in one spot during cleanup. We have humidifiers to speed up the drying and can help you prevent future issues with recommended moisture barriers, etc.
If you’re struggling with mold and need cleaning and restoration services, call us 24/7 at (401) 849-6644 or request an estimate. We have a certified mold removal team and have done this work for decades. Don’t wait! The longer mold sits, the more it will spread, and it can spread rather quickly.
Write a comment: