According to the National Fire Protection Association, the leading cause of fires in a home are from the kitchen and these fires can lead to serious property damage and personal injury. Fires only need a few seconds to turn a small flame into an unmanageable situation. Below are some general safety tips that can help prevent fires from beginning in your kitchen:
- Never leave a kitchen unattended when grilling, frying or broiling food.
- Always keep an eye on the stove, oven, and smaller appliances while in use.
- When using the stove, be sure there are no combustible items close by.
- Make sure to turn off all appliances, ovens, and stoves when you’re done cooking.
- Keep dish towels, oven mitts, wooden utensils and other burnable items away from hot surfaces.
- Put your hair in a ponytail, and avoid baggy sleeves.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Water will only help spread the oil to increase the size of the flames.
- When cooking on the stove, always have a lid handy. If a fire occurs, put the lid over the pan to contain the flames, remove from heat and let it cool down completely.
When a fire or smoke damage occurs, acting fast is important. Soot not only gives off a strong odor, but if left on surfaces for an extended period of time it can cause secondary damage. Here at Paradise Cleaning & Restoration we will immediately begin to remove the damaged structure, clean soot and rid your home of the contaminants that come with a fire or soot problem. Our IICRC Fire & Smoke Restoration-certified technicians use HEPA air filters during the remediation process to help eliminate odors caused by fire & soot. We do all the work, so you can safely return to your home.
When disaster strikes, Paradise Cleaning & Restoration should be your first call to begin the remediation process and get you back into your home quickly.